Top 12 Disney News Items of 2012
Welcome to Chip and Co! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe to our Newsletter for the best in Disney Park News, Planning Tips, Giveaways and More delivered to you.
It’s been a big news year for the Disney parks. While we have seen some big changes like the addition of New Fantasyland, some news like our number 12 item has fostered very little attention. Here’s a quick look back on the top 12 news stories and events of 2012!
12. Senses – The spa at the Grand Floridian went through a massive overhaul, opening in December with a new name, Senses. (In other Grand Floridian news, the resort is in the process of adding a Disney Vacation Club wing.)
11. Splitsville Luxury Lanes – A two-story, 30 lane bowling alley opened at Downtown Disney in December.
10. Wi-Fi – Disney began expanding its free Wi-Fi throughout its resorts and parks. That officially makes ONE free thing at Walt Disney World.
9. XPass/FastPass+ – Disney’s new Fastpass system that will allow guests to reserve times for attractions began testing.
8. Test Track – After being closed for most of 2012, Test Track reopened at Epcot with a new design and rave reviews.
7. Disney Fantasy – The Disney Cruise line’s newest ship, Disney Fantasy, set sail on its maiden voyage in January.
6. Starbucks – After successful openings at Disneyland, the Disney fan world went crazy when Disney announced that the Main Street Bakery would be replaced by Starbucks. Some fans rejoices and others… freaked out.
5. Disney buys LucasFilm – Disney purchased LucasFilm in October, granted Princess Leia instant Disney princess status.
4. Storybook Circus – Mickey’s Toontown, which closed in 2011, was replaced by Storybook Circus, the first new area in New Fantasyland. It had its soft opening in March.
3. Art of Animation – Disney’s newest resort, the Value, suites resort Art of Animation, welcomed its first guest to rave reviews in May.
2. Cars Land – Cars Land opened to crazy lines and excited fans at Disneyland in June.
And, of course, the biggest news at Walt Disney World in 2012….
1. New Fantasyland – It officially opened on December 6 with previews beginning in October. This is the largest expansion in the Magic Kingdom’s history and caused a flurry of excitement with Disney fans.
- “Limited Time Magic” Begins at Disney Parks (chipandco.com)
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort Spa to Reopen Soon Under New Ownership…Disney Ownership That Is! (chipandco.com)
- Coming to Disney Parks this January/February 2013 (chipandco.com)
More Disney Magic:
Article source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ChipAndCo/~3/OIbBsLnuKDo/